Patience, now a verb.





I almost forgot about my soul while searching for something instantaneous. A recent discussion with a life long companion hit home for me. I explained to Kyle the similarities between life and running and how he and I should learn from our previous experiences. The life side of this analogy is two twenty (and some change) year old kids attempting to get our best foot in the door (his being a Sperry), find a hand worth holding, possibly a residence large enough for our macs and basil gardens- and a growing numerical number attached to our Visas. Being ex-captains of our sporting teams, prom king/queen as well as past school presidents, an actualization was clouding our heads of when the grand scheme of post college life was going to fall into place like our childhoods once had.

A runner's race is pure strategy and commitment. It is trusting in the training you have done; the long hours and conditioning to mold a body and mind willing to perform. This was when I realized that similar to life, starting the race at a full sprint and wanting to hit the finish line before the first mile marker was no way to earn your blue ribbon. Upon telling him this there was a understanding in the telephone wire that we were both pushing for something that is coming and quite possibly unreachable until life's route says so. If I could list the tangent job searching I have gone on the past five months I would want to burn it in disbelief of my inconsistency. Like a swimmer who feels the loss of buoyancy, they panic and begin to dog paddle. This was me forgetting that in order to float one must relax and believe in their own abilities. I started out this race thinking there would be a finish line in the forecast- something to measure any ounce of success. It has become apparent to me that there will not be a finish line as the journey itself will provide all the satisfaction necessary. Let us be patient and keep sailing.


1 comment: